HMS Performing Arts
Performing Arts is an important part of learning for middle school and high school students at HMS. Each year the middle school presents a spring drama production. In 2022, the high school Venture Program joined this tradition with a December drama production.
This event has concluded for 2022-23.
Watch for information on 2023-24 drama opportunities here and on the school calendar!
HMS Middle School Performing Arts presents: Charlotte’s Web
Friday, February 24, 2023: 5:30 pm Dinner Theater – SOLD OUT
SOLD OUT – Advance Tickets Required: Online Ticketing Closed as of 2/22
- Adults: $18.00
- Children (ages 4-grade 8): $13.00
Saturday, February 25, 2023: 2 pm & 7 pm
Advance ticket sales are closed. Limited tickets available at the door:
$8 general admission/$6 HMS students
Doors open 45 minutes before the show.
Questions? Contact the school office: 717-354-7100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
History of Performing Arts at HMS
The spring drama production is a special part of our middle school program, bringing together extracurricular opportunities and core curriculum. Every middle school student at HMS learns what it takes to put together various aspects of a drama production and each student is required to participate in some way.
Students audition for acting parts, a drama club gathers publicity information, and students prepare props and work with the costume director. Volunteer adults work with student groups to assist students in running the lighting and sound, working with hairstyles and stage make-up, and learning basic set construction. Finally all students learn how to host guests in a semi-formal setting by serving at both a Friday luncheon for senior citizens groups and an evening dinner show open to the public.
In December 2022, HMS’s high school Venture Program began drama productions as well. As in middle school, Venture Program students assist with all parts of the production, both backstage and on-stage.
Over the Years: Drama productions at HMS
- 2022-23 School year
- Venture Program: A Christmas Carol: A Radio Play
- Middle School: Charlotte’s Web
- 2022: Pollyanna
- 2021: Acting Club for middle school students, no production
- 2020: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
- 2019: Twain’s Tales
- 2018: Anne of Green Gables
- 2017: Stuart Little
- 2016: Heidi
- 2015: Little Women
- 2014: Two One-Act Plays: The Tortoise & the Hare Race Again and The Trial of Goldilocks
- 2013: Robin Hood
- 2012: Pollyanna
- 2011: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- 2010: Stuart Little
- 2009: Five Little Peppers
- 2008: Patchwork – The Little House Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
- 2007: Henry & Ramona
- 2006: Anne of Green Gables
- 2005: The Secret Garden
- 2004: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
- 2003: Charlotte’s Web
- 2002: Henry’s Red Sea
- 2001: Hans Brinker and The Silver Skates
- 2000: The Adventures of Beatrix Potter & Friends
- 1999: The House at Pooh Corner
- 1998: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- 1997: Heidi
- 1996: Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
- 1995: Winnie the Pooh
- 1994: The Sixth Grade Scrooge & No Room in the Inn
- 1993: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
- 1992: Charlotte’s Web
- 1991: The Velveteen Rabbit
- 1990: no production
- 1989: no production
- 1988: Henry’s Red Sea