Substantial tax credits are available to eligible businesses contributing to a Scholarship Organization, an Educational Improvement Organization, and/or a Pre-Kindergarten Scholarship Organization. Pennsylvania has created two programs to allow businesses to support their local schools, families and students with their tax dollars:
- Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC)
- Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC)
The funds contributed through these programs are used to provide scholarships for HMS families and students. We are very grateful to the many different businesses who give generously to HMS through these scholarship programs each year and help provide need-based scholarships to over half of the current HMS students!
How can I participate in these programs?
Businesses and individuals meeting the state criteria can apply for tax credits then make a contribution to an approved Scholarship Organization, identifying the school of their choice to utilize the contribution as scholarship funds.
What is the process?
- Apply online. Use the PA Department of Economic Development (DCED) website and their online application. Your tax professional can assist with this process.
- Receive your approval letter from the PA DCED.
- Make your approved contribution within 60 days to a qualifying scholarship organization, such as:
- Pennsylvania Mennonite Scholarship Organization (PA-MSO)
- Faithbuilders Scholarship Organization
- other scholarship organizations chosen by you and your tax professional.
- Designate any portion of your annual contribution to benefit students from Hinkletown Mennonite School when you make your gift.
- Provide proof of the contribution from the scholarship organization to the state in a prompt fashion following your contribution.
Special Purpose Entities
Some business leaders and those who may not be able to receive tax credits through the traditional business application are seeking to do so through new Special Purpose Entities. Feel free to contact HMS Director of Advancement Jody Fausnight with questions regarding this growing popular tax credit option.
For More Information:
- Contact HMS Director of Advancement Jody Fausnight at email@example.com or 717-354-7100 x1005.
- Check out the PA Department of Economic Development website for information on the EITC program and the OSTC program.
- Talk to your tax professional about how this program could benefit your business as well as the families & students in our community.
For more information about the many ways to support HMS, contact Jody Fausnight, HMS Director of Advancement, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 717-354-7100 x1005.